Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Before and After...Delicious Daisy

Daisies make my heart sing.
There is just something about a daisy.
It's so simple.
So clean.
Wholly serene.
Honest.
I'm quite sure a daisy would never tell a lie!


We went camping last weekend and these little darlings were everywhere.
Now, if you happen to be a botanist and are reading this blog, feel free to correct me if these are not, in fact, daisies.
But for now, lets just say they are in the daisy family.
Wild daisies.


I loved the way that these little ladies were growing up against this railroad tie retaining wall.
Such a lovely, rugged backdrop.
As I scanned the grouping, looking for the perfect daisy, I was a tad convicted.
Why is it that I always look for the "flawless" one in the bunch?
How shallow of me.


So, I decided to give this sweet thing a chance.
Yes, she looks as if she has been "snacked" on by some hungry insects.
But, that doesn't make her any less of a daisy.

daisy before

I was a little self conscious as I clicked these.
Only because these were growing on the stairs to the camp host's R.V.
I didn't want to raise a ruckus.
I'm a shady looking character,  ya know!
Anyway...not that great of a shot.
But never fear, photoshop is near!
daisy after2
I thought I'd give it a square crop.
Only because I like to walk on the wild side occasionally.
I decided to not clone out the little bugs chillin' in the center.
I figured they were an integral part of the story!




Finally....because I.Must.Add.Texture.Always...I went ahead and added it!
daisy after
Ah, and now all is well in the world.




I just found out that Monica at Pixel Perfect  is not hosting this blog hop today.  She is taking a moment of silence for baby Cohen today. Let's lift this dear family up today.


*************************************************************

These were edited in Photoshop elements.
For the first picture, here is a quick run down of the steps I took.
1. First I ran a high pass filter and then used a black layer mask.
2. Then I painted out only the daisy with a soft white brush...leaving only the daisy sharpened.
3. Added a color adjustment layer in orange and set it to exclusion and adjusted the opacity.
4. I then added a navy to gold gradient map layer and set it to soft light and adjusted opacity.

For the second picture I added two textures and a frame mask from Shadowhouse Creations.

19 comments:

Silver Strands said...

Julie, I absolutely LOVE your style. Yes! You are STYLISH!
oxox
Denalee

Carrie said...

What a sweet shot of a beautiful flower!

One day (when all my summer projects are done) I will sit down and go through all your tutorials and play around in PSE ... I pray that day comes soon!! ;)

Dana said...

1st off...Camping fun!! where? We are off to Montana for ten days. Yeah Montana! I'll give a shout out as we haul-a%% down i-90 with a sharp left at rathdrum
2nd love the photo! I started reading all of the things you did and seriously my mind fogged over. I am so jelous that you know how to do all of that!!
Love the outcome!

Love Letters To China said...

Love your PSE work. It's amazing how an ordinary wild flower can turn into a beautiful work of art. Love it!

Hannah said...

What a cool transformation!

I love a sweet daisy :)

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Daisies are my favorite flower. I'm very lucky now to have tons of them right in my very own yard.

I love your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I am a fan of the exclusion layers. My current experiment. Some work great, some not so much!
This turned out so great! Love the textures as well.
Hope your camping trip was wonderful!

Stacey said...

Wow! I love the end result!!

Brianne said...

Love that frame! Have you started selling your prints yet?! Hmmmmmm??? lol You totally could...

Unknown said...

Nicely done! Have a wonderful day!

Lovin Lane said...

I do not have photoshop, someday I will.., but I sure love looking at yours lol... I love pictures.. looking at them taking them what ever lol........ Your blog is so cute and I just love your titles.....

liz said...

LOVE it with the "frame"!

Sonora said...

I do love daises. They are such happy flowers. The edit is awesome. I love the texture!

Laura said...

You did it again, you made a perfect picture! The border added so much, very cool!

I love daises too they are one of my favs...and tulips too, for the same reason, beautiful and simple. :)

TheFitHousewife said...

Love it! I'm gonna have to take some of these tips and apply them!

Natalie said...

It was a great picture as-is, but after all of your changes it was a work of art! Seriously, I'd frame that and hang it in my house...it has "happiness" written all over it!

He & Me + 3 said...

Absolutely beautiful. You do such a great job with your edits. I am jealous. That would look just beautiful in a frame!

Leanne said...

Lovely Lovely Lovely ... I spent, like, a gazillion hours last week with photoshop and my sad attempt at doing something cool (like this) was just that ... sad!

I LOVE this picture and the frame and the whole stinkin' thing!!!

Shannon K. said...

Will you explain high pass to me? As usual, I haven't a clue.

Either photo would be worth framing and hanging on a wall. In fact, in our old house, my bathroom was adorned with paintings of big bright flowers. This would have fit in nicely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails